H & K SPORTS FIELDS
RECONSTRUCTION & RENOVATION
There are a couple of items to think about regarding baseball field reconstruction and/or renovation.
Reconstruction by definition is basically rebuilding the entire baseball field. In certain situations this may be the only alternative. Usually this is required in two (2) situations:
1. Improper grading at the time of initial construction. The field does not have enough slope or change in grade to allow for positive drainage off the playing surface. During periods of even light rain water does not “move” off the field. Eventually enough water accumulates which may require several days to either evaporate or dissipate into the soils below the playing surface.
2. The second situation usually takes place when a baseball field, through lack of maintenance and upkeep for many years, reaches a point where it is better to reconstruct the field. The turf areas are not level, the quality of the turf is poor, wear areas are abundant, the skinned areas have poor quality materials and fencing and dugout areas usually need extensive repair. In this situation the safety of the players comes into play.
Correcting these field problems at first may require solutions that seem excessive. Obviously player and spectator safety is paramount. The other item of importance is the inconvenience and additional expense of having to reschedule games due to unplayable field conditions.
Renovation on the other hand is trying to restore a baseball field to its original condition. Usually this work does not require changing grades or major work. Renovation work usually includes some or all of the following:
A. “Lip” removal. Excessive buildup of infield skinned material in baseline turf areas and the infield back arc.
B. Sod wear areas. Worn out turf areas in the infield, around the pitching mound and home plate.
C. Adding baseball mix to skinned infield areas, including re-grading.
D. Reconstructing the mound and home plate areas to proper dimensions.
E. Replacing worn out bases, pitching rubber and home plate.
We have prided ourselves on providing professional services whether it is building a Division I College baseball field or a small community little league field.
Our motto at H & K Sports Fields is “Better Fields Make Better Players” and there is always a sense of pride when players of all ages approach our employees and thank them for providing them with a better field.
• Costs to Perform Work Obviously costs can very dramatically depending on the scope of work and location. Minor renovation work can very from $5,000.00 to $20,000.00. Full reconstruction for field work, basically all the work within the fences, could run as high as $75,000.00 to $90,000.00. New fencing could cost $25,000.00 to $30,000.00, irrigation $20,000.00 to $25,000.00, lighting $75,000.00 to $80,000.00, dugouts $3,000.00 to $10,000.00 each and scoreboards $5,000.00 In most cases we visit each baseball field and go over a comprehensive check list to address all issues and come up with a budget an a plan of action.
• Capabilities We use the latest equipment technology, laser graders, GPS equipment and etcetera, and the best materials available to ensure that all our work is completed consistently and professionally. In addition our foremen have many years of hands-on experience in baseball field construction.
• Additional Information if you are interested we can send you a CD showing numerous pictures of our projects at different stages of completion.