Mike Parent is the owner and president of H&K Sports Fields, LLC. H&K specializes in the design, construction, and renovation of sports fields in the upper Midwest. His unique combination of site development and athletic field construction experiences, has enabled him to expand the business to provide consulting and project management services to clients nationwide. In addition, H&K developed and marketed its “Magic MixTM” Topdressing and “Magic Track TM” warning track materials. As a youngster, and always having a passion for baseball, Mike built his first baseball field at the age of 12 in his parent’s backyard. Throughout his years as a coach from little league, Babe Ruth, high school, and American Legion, Mike has always enjoyed working on baseball fields. Today Mike serves on the board of directors for the Baileys Harbor baseball home talent team and donates time working on the local field that he helped build in the 1970s.
Mike has spent his entire 40-year career in the site development industry:
- Worked summers in high school and college in family excavating business installing utilities, driving dump trucks, and landscaping.
- Served as contract administrator for a large paving contractor in Dallas, TX after graduating from Purdue University with a Master’s Degree in Construction Management.
- Returned to the family business to manage overall company operations, (approximately 60 employees). Responsible for bid preparation, subcontractor selection, scheduling, and all business development activities. Extensive involvement in site grading, utility work, aggregate production, rock blasting, redi-mix production, and landscaping.
- Purchased H&K Sports Fields after the sale of the family business in 2004.
- Construction of men’s baseball field at Marian University, Fond du Lac, WI
- Construction of baseball fields at Verona Little League Complex, Verona, WI
- Design and construction of softball fields for Menominee Falls Little League
- Design, bid, and owner’s rep for the City of Waupun Sports Complex. $2.7M project.
- Design, construction drawings, specifications, for $3.5M sports complex in Fort Madison, IA. Construction to start summer of 2014
- Design and construction specifications boy’s high school baseball field at Williams Bay High School. Project to bid and be constructed summer of 2014. Budget of $500K
- Design, build 4 field little league complex at Manitowoc, WI. $1.8M project. Completion set for spring 2017
Site Development Projects
As an owner, Mike has designed and developed several real estate projects in Door County. He has worked with state, county, and local officials on various permitting issues. He has also worked with various civil engineers, architects, and engineers, in areas of site work, grading, infrastructure, building construction, and landscaping. In addition, he has coordinated marketing and sales efforts for his developments:
- Heritage Lake Resort – 300 site vacation community including a 10,000 sq ft clubhouse, man-made lake, and other amenities.
- Meadow Wood Homes – 55 site affordable housing project.
- Evergreen Court – 6 unit duplex condominium project.
- Rock Ridge Subdivision – 12 lot subdivision
- BBA University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire, WI
- MS Construction Management Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- Wisconsin Real Estate License
- Member of Door County Board of Realtors
- Wisconsin Restricted Master Plumber
- Member of American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member of Sports Turf Managers Association
- Member of Wisconsin Park and Recreation Association
- Member of Sportsplex Operators and Developers Association